And they lived happily ever after...

We were tasked again by our Literature professor to create a paper about one of our readings. This time, we used the Feminist Literary Criticism as our guide. And the story to be critiqued? James Finn Garners politically correct version of Cinderella. Have fun reading my paper!

Lot's of Love,
J<3


“And they lived happily ever after.” These six magical words have been said and heard ever since fairytales were told as we know them today. I have fond memories as a child of lying in my bed listening to my mom read me “Goldilocks and the Three Bears”, “Snow White”, “Little Mermaid”, “Beauty and the Beast”, “Hansel and Gretel”, “Rapunzel”, and “Cinderella” right before I sleep. I’ve had dreams of being a princess in my own kingdom and having my own adventures that the protagonists in these stories have. But in my mind, I did the heroic stuff. I saved people instead of sitting scared in a palace waiting for my prince to come.

In Cinderella’s politically correct version, I was surprised by how the story went. It isn’t the usual plot in the Cinderella I have grown up watching and reading. First of all, a male fairygod person? But I think I liked the ending better. I’m glad that James Finn Garner was able to add a nice spin to the traditional pretty-girl-saved-by-prince-charming fairytale. The women, or if i may say womyn, ended up kind of saving the world, or maybe the future comfort of all the other womyn.

The women, represented by Cinderella’s character, were made into heroines, although it was just by the end of the story. She may have started trying to conform with the cruelty of reality and society, but when her mask was lifted, she stood her ground. And with the other women seeing how good it must feel to finally be free of their breath-taking-feet-reddening wardrobe, they followed suit.

The men were presented in a different light as well. Instead of being good looking knights in shining armours riding a white horse, they were presented as hormone-driven hungry lions fighting over Cinderella as if she was meat. The prince and his cronies didn’t respect Cinderella when she went in. Although her clothing might have been the catalyst to their reaction, she and the other girls were treated without respect. They didn’t seem to care about who she is. All they cared for was that she was wearing a skimpy dress and they wanted to get her.

Aside from this, I think women still weren’t given equal stature. Firstly, Cinderella was a servant in their house, just like what is present in society today. Secondly, the way the men reacted over her, even ending up killing each other is disrespectful. But I think the ending evened it all out. When all the women united when they created Cinder-wear is what I think was the turning point for everything.

Cinderella might not have taken home a prince, but she still lived happily ever after – and more comfortable than ever.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment