Someone with a Good Heart


*This is a paper I made for Theology class about someone we know who has a good heart.*

What does one have to do to be called as isang taong may magandang kalooban (someone with a good heart)? I think there is no clear cut way to do so. It’s just so innate in the person that it’s hard to define what it is about them that make them someone said to have a good heart. Or maybe it’s not something learned through instructions but something present in all of us that just need a little jumpstart like a good old engine to begin revving up. Just like my Tita Prosy who I think is a perfect example of someone who has a magandang kalooban.
            
They say that our name says a lot about ourselves. I think this holds true for my tita (aunt). Being the first born in their family and the first female grandchild of her grandparents, her name was decided for her and her parents by her aunts who were old maids. My grandparents wanted to name her something that started with the letter “L” because they both had names that started with the same letter. But because of the case at hand, they had no choice but to give in to the request of their family. So on the day of her baptism, she was named Prospera (prosperous).

Fast forward to her adult life, she did live a prosperous life through her hard work. Being the first child of a low income family who still had five other children to care for, surviving if not only for the help of their generous relatives, she had to strive hard for success. She married at an early age, but she never forgot to lend a hand to her family when the need arises. I was not born until a few more decades after this, but I hear stories of how she, at the age of sixteen or seventeen, worked at 7-Up to help with the needs of her family, or that she was a great help when my grandfather was admitted to the hospital. Even with her own family to care for, she still stood as their ate when my grandfather passed away.

But even without hearing these stories, I have also seen how good her heart is myself. I saw how kind she was even to people she barely knew. I remember how she would buy whatever it is someone sold at the streets saying “Para naman kumita siya kahit konti (so that she could earn even just a bit),” or how she loved serving the church, organizing outreach programs and feeding missions, and being someone to hold on to for my aunts and uncles and to her friends. She may have had flaws because we can’t deny that nobody is perfect, but she made good use of the gift of prosperity that God gave her. This is probably because she herself experienced living a simple life, receiving help from relatives when finances were running low. And on the day she passed on, friends and acquaintances kept pouring in her wake. It was just a testament of how much she had helped a lot of people and how many lives she has touched. That is why I think she has a good heart – a heart that was so filled with love that she had to share it to everyone she meets just so everything that’s pouring out don’t get wasted.


Lots of Love,
J<3

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment