Sleepover: Fact and Fiction

Oh the joys of being a teenager - being in high school, hanging out with your BFFs, going to parties, being carefree and living life to the fullest, and the best of all, having SLEEPOVERS!

I was 15 when I first experienced my first sleepover, although it wasn't really a sleepover 'cause the sleepover happened in our house. Since then, I've only experienced one real sleepover because most sleepovers we have that I get to go to are held at home.

Although this was the case, I always have a blast in all my sleepovers. In a stereotypical slumber party, you would imagine teenage girls in their jammies, playing board games, giggling over boys and painting each other's nails. To tell you the truth, this isn't really what we do (although we may do some of those sometimes, i.e. giggling over boys and being in our jammies).

But really, is this all we do? Nope! We do tons of other stuff. Take my recent sleepover for example. My high school friends and I decided to have a sleepover at our house, and at first we DID have a little "guy-talk". But afterwards, we had other things in mind. We watched a movie, chatted even more, took photos, sang, played some instruments, more chatting, watched videos, tweeted (a lot), slept (DUH!), exercised (something unusual, but we still did it), cooked, defrosted our fridge (unintentional and tiring, but fun) and teased each other along the way.

Yum! Bulalo for dinner :>
Yummy French Toast for breakfast the next day :)

And in each sleepover we have, we get to learn something new about ourselves. During lunch, we realized how mature we already are. In high school, we used to talk about silly things like scary movies, jokes, funny stories and other stuff. We still talk about these other times, but we were surprised when we found ourselves talking about politics. We may be incoming college juniors, but we still feel like the high school girls we once were. That's why we end up a little stunned when we find things which makes us more adult than kids. We do realize that more than half of our group are already considered adults by the society for being 18 years old. And the rest of us are turning 18 ourselves in a few months, so maybe age-wise we are kind of mature.

At the beginning of writing this blog, I thought I was doing this because I wanted to write about what really happens in sleepovers. But as I went along, I think what I wanted to write more about is how I miss spending time with my high school friends. Being with them made me miss high school a whole lot and it made me realize how much I don't want to be an adult yet because I don't believe I am ready. I don't know how to face life as an adult because I've been so used to being a kid that I'm gonna miss being one. But actually I think no matter what we are doing - whether it's having a sleepover or growing up, what makes it fun and enjoyable is not what we do, but who we were with.

Lots of Love,
J<3

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment