Cupcake Scouting

(For the official website, click Sophie's Mom and Cupcakes by Sonja.)

For the past couple of months, my sister and I have been scouting the internet for a bakeshop that would provide pastries for my 18th birthday party. Right before school started, we got a chance to visit two famous cupcake shops: Sophie's Mom and Cupcakes by Sonja.

One rainy afternoon after a little practice driving, we decided to go to Cupcakes by Sonja in The Fort. There weren't many people because of the bad weather, but the shop was still a bit busy entertaining a customer or two the whole time we were there. I had their Peppermint Patty cupcake (I just LOVE all things minty) and my sister got the Chocolate Surprise Cupcake and both of them were just divine!

The Peppermint Patty had just the right amount of minty in it that it wasn't overwhelming at all. The cupcake on the other hand is just the way I like it: soft, fluffy and really light. The icing was a bit too sweet for me though. But over-all rating would be a 4/5.

Peppermint Patty
I liked the Chocolate Surprise more because the chocolate buttercream frosting was less sweet and very creamy. The cupcake itself was also soft, fluffy and very light (a gold star for consistency). I don't know about the surprise part, but I would rate it a 5/5.
Chocolate Surprise

From Sophie's Mom, we bought four cupcakes and four mochi ice cream. My sister and I each got their Chocolate Creme Brulee. Aside from that, I also had the Tres Leches with Mango and my sister had the Red Velvet w/ Cream Cheese Frosting. For the mochi ice cream, I got Leche Flan, my sister had Cookies and Creme and my parents both chose Banoffee.

Their cupcakes were amazing as well, although Cupcake by Sonja's Chocolate Surprise would still top my list (for now), I would rate all their cupcakes that I've tasted a 4.5/5. The Chocolate Creme Brulee had just the right chocolatiness and sweetness in it; the Red Velvet was, well, velvety; and the Tres Leches with Mango was milky, creamy with a touch of mango in it (but I got disappointed when the whipped cream on top got melted 'cause I didn't it it at once).
Chocolate Creme Brulee

Tres Leches with Mango

Sophie's Mom Cupcakes

As for their mochi ice cream, it was all right, but not all flavors wasn't available that day (I badly wanted to have a taste of the Cookie Dough). The price is one of the most affordable I have seen, and taste wise, I'll give the ones we all got a 3/5.

I may not have decided what cupcakes to get for my debut, but one thing's for sure: I would surely go back and have a taste of the other desserts offered by both cupcake stores.

(I wan't able to take picture of my cupcakes from Cupcakes by Sonja so the ones above are from their website http://cupcakesbysonja.com/. But the ones for Sophie's Mom were taken by me courtesy of my iPod Touch)


Lots of Love,
J<3

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment