Why do girls watch drama?

Being in a female-dominant household, my dad would sometimes complain (although not that often, 'cause he's learned his lesson) that we girls watch too much drama (although we love action and suspense films too). From TV to movies, my mom, my sister and I, would always be interested with stories that involve people crying, dying, loosing their memories (HAHA), falling in love, then out, then in again. I remember him say when I was entering puberty not to watch too much soap operas and teleseryes because they're always too tragic and depressing. But fast forward to the future, here we are, our eyes glued on the TV, crying with the protagonists and getting mad at the mean step-mother or the evil sister.

I too have thought our fondness of drama. But I guess it's not really that we like drama; it's just that in every tragedy, there's [almost] always a love story. Being the more emotional specie, we tend to feel whatever the characters are feeling. And who doesn't like the feeling of falling in love?




In the past few weeks, I've been constantly watching this Korean Drama called Secret Love/Sungkyungkwan Scandal which has been dubbed in Filipino in one of our local channels. And I've noticed myself feeling all twitterpated and blushing with every scene. Its funny and familiar and just unexplanable.

I guess it's because it's been two years since I last had a real crush (real crush /ˈri əl krʌʃ, ril krʌʃ/ n. a crush whom you know personally and also knows you; a crush whom you've actually talked to. Antonym: TV crush, celebrity crush). It's because ever since I transferred to a not-so all girls college (there are a couple of courses that allows males), there's just really no one to have a crush on. And seeing these people liking each other secretly, then openly; learning their feelings and confronting them - developing into something more than friend, it's as if I get to feel the giggly sensation I used to get when being with my crush. It's like all the things that happened (and all the things I wished has happened) to me before is being materialized into a 2D motion picture. Sometimes, memories of past crushes flood my head whenever a scene similar to what happened in the past is played.

This may not be the case for all females, but we have our own variation of this reason why we love to watch drama and love stories. Go and ask your mom and find out her reason?

Lots of Love,
J<3

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment